Guile doesn't like carriage returns after \

OpenSubmitted by Grigory Shepelev.
Details
2 participants
  • Maxime Devos
  • Grigory Shepelev
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 18:46
guix pull fails with `Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....-module-import-compiled.drv"
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
CAGJuR-7Wpvx6mKTA6H0waF5TT_Wb5QoCg6HsjHL_dxzyGNQKLg@mail.gmail.com
guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:

fish: Unknown command: nix
fish:
nix show-derivation
"/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"

I had nix-service-type enabled and I had this problem. Then I disabled it
(with remove-service...), reconfigured the system. Same error message and
problem. Cleaned the thrash (guix gc) and tried to pull without
substitutes. Same result each time.

shegeley@zone51 ~ (master) [127]> guix pull
Updating channel 'nonguix' from Git repository at '
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 5e59153 (4 new commits)...
Building from these channels:
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
... [author comment]
building
/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv...
|builder for
`/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv'
failed with exit code 1
build of
/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv
failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/nrhi4j1vrhjfibv6i1wvwa6zq4lnilpg-compute-guix-derivation.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of
`/gnu/store/nrhi4j1vrhjfibv6i1wvwa6zq4lnilpg-compute-guix-derivation.drv'
failed

(first time using mail-based issues system, tried to find issue-opening
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 19:29
1c887d3cd8fde540fce68e610301abd3c29e7915.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (7 lines)
> guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:
>
> fish: Unknown command: nix
> fish:
> nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"

That's an error message from fish, not from guix.

Why is fish trying to run nix on Guix System?
Maybe you configured fish to interpret output lines containing ".drv"?

Greetings,
Maxime.
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 19:30
e7df6c949b603e84c8248a36965690d6b0a15673.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (4 lines)
> View build log at
> '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
> compiled.drv.bz2'.

To figure out the issue, we need the log.

Greetings,
Maxime.
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 19:32
6f21cd13392754eddbdb63652a227439623023ad.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> (first time using mail-based issues system, tried to find issue-
> opening rules on https://issues.guix.gnu.org/)

The manual has a little information in ‘17.7 Tracking Bugs and Patches’

Greetings,
Maxime.
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 20:15
CAGJuR-5r3sr-=XrK-f_4XQuL-0=fc_fuSi37G_rTu1Nsim3T+w@mail.gmail.com
Hm...
I just use the "default" fish as home-service and it's set as my user's
shell... I will try to change them both to bash and try again. Maybe that's
a "non standard-shell" issue.
Will update later.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 21:29, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (17 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
> > guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:
> >
> > fish: Unknown command: nix
> > fish:
> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>
> That's an error message from fish, not from guix.
>
> Why is fish trying to run nix on Guix System?
> Maybe you configured fish to interpret output lines containing ".drv"?
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.
>
>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 20:29
CAGJuR-63_hgY+uTeMwXuZY7z8bi4Y3-E1mUP_z2zvRNdzHu99g@mail.gmail.com
Ok. Now it's /gnu/store/87kif0bpf0anwbsaw0jvg8fyciw4sz67-bash-5.0.16/bin/bash:
nix: command not found. With bash...
I have no idea what's going on here. Guess there are some
nix-interpopability that fails somewhere.
Also: noticed that all associated nix-directories (~/nix-profile, ...)
exist, have root chown, and are not empty. There is even a spotify that I
installed with nix earlier, in ~/.nix-profile/bin. Although I removed nix
from services and packages in my system-wide config.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 22:15, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (25 lines)
> Hm...
> I just use the "default" fish as home-service and it's set as my user's
> shell... I will try to change them both to bash and try again. Maybe that's
> a "non standard-shell" issue.
> Will update later.
>
> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 21:29, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>
>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
>> > guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:
>> >
>> > fish: Unknown command: nix
>> > fish:
>> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
>> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>>
>> That's an error message from fish, not from guix.
>>
>> Why is fish trying to run nix on Guix System?
>> Maybe you configured fish to interpret output lines containing ".drv"?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Maxime.
>>
>>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 20:32
CAGJuR-5A8uDmbkaxUHiJmm+cPcMhNL_6CJW0bOFxafpeBMNrCQ@mail.gmail.com
Also: tried guix pull rollback, reconfigure the system, and pull again
multiple times.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 22:29, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (36 lines)
> Ok. Now it's /gnu/store/87kif0bpf0anwbsaw0jvg8fyciw4sz67-bash-5.0.16/bin/bash:
> nix: command not found. With bash...
> I have no idea what's going on here. Guess there are some
> nix-interpopability that fails somewhere.
> Also: noticed that all associated nix-directories (~/nix-profile, ...)
> exist, have root chown, and are not empty. There is even a spotify that I
> installed with nix earlier, in ~/.nix-profile/bin. Although I removed nix
> from services and packages in my system-wide config.
>
> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 22:15, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hm...
>> I just use the "default" fish as home-service and it's set as my user's
>> shell... I will try to change them both to bash and try again. Maybe that's
>> a "non standard-shell" issue.
>> Will update later.
>>
>> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 21:29, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>>
>>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
>>> > guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:
>>> >
>>> > fish: Unknown command: nix
>>> > fish:
>>> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
>>> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>>>
>>> That's an error message from fish, not from guix.
>>>
>>> Why is fish trying to run nix on Guix System?
>>> Maybe you configured fish to interpret output lines containing ".drv"?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Maxime.
>>>
>>>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 20:52
CAGJuR-62nAerjQ=cmn25+BCL2O2EBmzaQwKDR7uj3BN=L4A-iw@mail.gmail.com
Deleted the .nix-profile and all the nix-related stuff from my home-dir,
reconfigured the system, pulled again. Same problem.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 22:15, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (25 lines)
> Hm...
> I just use the "default" fish as home-service and it's set as my user's
> shell... I will try to change them both to bash and try again. Maybe that's
> a "non standard-shell" issue.
> Will update later.
>
> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 21:29, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>
>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 20:46 [+0300]:
>> > guix pull fails for a 4 days at least with the same error:
>> >
>> > fish: Unknown command: nix
>> > fish:
>> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
>> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>>
>> That's an error message from fish, not from guix.
>>
>> Why is fish trying to run nix on Guix System?
>> Maybe you configured fish to interpret output lines containing ".drv"?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Maxime.
>>
>>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 21:26
144f07ae1cd27c52289a8b175160a21816ead8a8.camel@telenet.be
[putting 52559@debbugs.gnu.org back into the To/CC:]

Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 22:33 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (2 lines)
> This IS in fact the log.

No, you haven't posted any build log anywhere.
I'm asking for the log mentioned by

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> View build log at
> '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
> compiled.drv.bz2'.

That is, the file at
/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2
.

Greetings,
Maxime
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 21:49
CAGJuR-4WYF8iWQJfC7ZiprF5eLVMHaj3SqfORx-1vEMS-9dB6A@mail.gmail.com
Toggle quote (5 lines)
> fish: Unknown command: nix
> fish:
> nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"

IS in fact the contents of
/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:26, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (21 lines)
> [putting 52559@debbugs.gnu.org back into the To/CC:]
>
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 22:33 [+0300]:
> > This IS in fact the log.
>
> No, you haven't posted any build log anywhere.
> I'm asking for the log mentioned by
>
> > View build log at
> > '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
> > compiled.drv.bz2'.
>
> That is, the file at
>
> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2
> .
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime
>
>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 21:54
CAGJuR-4A7cQr30Fz8E6ZbexvbQdyT0SqYNnEPif175gUeTRbjw@mail.gmail.com
I just didn't add it as an attachment for it being only 4 lines.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:49, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (31 lines)
> > fish: Unknown command: nix
> > fish:
> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>
> IS in fact the contents of
> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2.
>
> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:26, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>
>> [putting 52559@debbugs.gnu.org back into the To/CC:]
>>
>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 22:33 [+0300]:
>> > This IS in fact the log.
>>
>> No, you haven't posted any build log anywhere.
>> I'm asking for the log mentioned by
>>
>> > View build log at
>> > '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
>> > compiled.drv.bz2'.
>>
>> That is, the file at
>>
>> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2
>> .
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Maxime
>>
>>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 22:12
CAGJuR-4DUsxvKiOy2PgUrpUHhs-LCTa6wq8D_AbsADKvF7zJSg@mail.gmail.com
Extended research. Lead to

ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m
97-module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
sequence: #\return

Possibly related to

(Now I added file as an attachment)

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:54, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (35 lines)
> I just didn't add it as an attachment for it being only 4 lines.
>
> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:49, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:
>
>> > fish: Unknown command: nix
>> > fish:
>> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
>> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>>
>> IS in fact the contents of
>> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2.
>>
>> чт, 16 дек. 2021 г. в 23:26, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>>
>>> [putting 52559@debbugs.gnu.org back into the To/CC:]
>>>
>>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 22:33 [+0300]:
>>> > This IS in fact the log.
>>>
>>> No, you haven't posted any build log anywhere.
>>> I'm asking for the log mentioned by
>>>
>>> > View build log at
>>> > '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
>>> > compiled.drv.bz2'.
>>>
>>> That is, the file at
>>>
>>> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2
>>> .
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Maxime
>>>
>>>
Attachment: file
shegeley@zone51 ~$ guix pull --no-substitutes
Updating channel 'nonguix' from Git repository at 'https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
building /gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv...
|builder for `/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of `/gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv' failed
shegeley@zone51 ~$ guix build /gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv
The following derivations will be built:
/gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv
/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv
/gnu/store/iw1kampndq5qaxp4fm5xrzdipwh9kj3c-module-import-compiled.drv
building /gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv...
ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape sequence: #\return
builder for `/gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/6r273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix build: error: build of `/gnu/store/8vwhvpjg30marklcc4sjrl5qva4qhhi5-compute-guix-derivation.drv' failed
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 22:13
1abf81878c1a434869407b1ba7bfb95cc969f624.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 23:49 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (9 lines)
> > fish: Unknown command: nix
> > fish:
> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
>
> IS in fact the contents of
> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
> compiled.drv.bz2.

This is very weird, because:

1. what's a derivation doing in $HOME?
2. This would mean that, while compiling some guile modules, fish is
invoked and fish is calling nix. But nix and fish are not involved at
all when compiling guile modules. (The only mention of 'fish' in the
source code is in shell completions.)
3. How did $HOME get leaked to the builder?
4. How did 'show-derivation' appear in the builder? There's no mention
of 'show-derivation' anywhere in guix' source code.

Greetings,
Maxime.
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 16 Dec 2021 22:24
Fwd: bug#52559: guix pull fails with `Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....-module-import-compiled.drv"
CAGJuR-4J5iiQOejH5PMaMmXeBBgTGhn7LX0WeOenYH56yTLidQ@mail.gmail.com
Sorry. Forgot to mention the thread.

Now using bash with system and home profiles. same error except
(s/nix/bash).

---------- Forwarded message ---------
От: Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>
Date: пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 00:21
Subject: Re: bug#52559: guix pull fails with `Unknown command: nix fish:
nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....-module-import-compiled.drv"
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>


Sure, sorry, sleepy.



пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 00:16, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (12 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 00:12 [+0300]:
> > In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-
> > module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
> > sequence: #\return
>
> It would be useful to have a copy of the file that the error message is
> complaining about.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.
>
>
Attachment: file
Attachment: utils.scm
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 22:32
Re: bug#52559: guix pull fails with `Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....-module-import-compiled.drv"
bf7c25541bb8c7b4274b51ea96a975f419eefd9a.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 00:12 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (4 lines)
> In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-
> module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
> sequence: #\return

It turns out to be these lines:

(message (format #f (G_ "'~a~{ ~a~}' exited \
with status ~a; output follows:~%~%~{ ~a~%~}")

It seems like the reader isn't parsing the \ escape properly somehow.

But which guile version, which reader (guile has two due to $REASONS),
...

TBI ...
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 16 Dec 2021 22:50
18b33b7d7333239abf30045910de78e60da57e6e.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 00:12 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (10 lines)
> Extended research. Lead to
>
> ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
> In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-
> module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
> sequence: #\return
>
> Possibly related to https://www.mail-archive.com/help-
> guix@gnu.org/msg12265.html

Here's a minimal reproducer:

Run the following in a REPL:
(call-with-input-string "\"Hello\\\rcarriage return!\"" read).

Alternatively, run guile -l c.scm on the attached file.

In both cases, you'll get
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> invalid character in escape sequence: #\return
> > >

Greetings,
Maxime
"Hello\ carriage return!"
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 17 Dec 2021 06:50
(name . Maxime Devos)(address . maximedevos@telenet.be)
CAGJuR-4-+-LykasR24-gUArUVVOv74fbCHEc+2eU_OuuyB7bng@mail.gmail.com
Thanks for your research.
Any ideas on how to fix it? I would change the file itself, but /gnu/store
is read-only.

пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 00:50, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (25 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 00:12 [+0300]:
> > Extended research. Lead to
> >
> > ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
> > In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-
> > module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
> > sequence: #\return
> >
> > Possibly related to https://www.mail-archive.com/help-
> > guix@gnu.org/msg12265.html
>
> Here's a minimal reproducer:
>
> Run the following in a REPL:
> (call-with-input-string "\"Hello\\\rcarriage return!\"" read).
>
> Alternatively, run guile -l c.scm on the attached file.
>
> In both cases, you'll get
> > invalid character in escape sequence: #\return
> > > >
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime
>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 17 Dec 2021 07:21
(name . Maxime Devos)(address . maximedevos@telenet.be)
CAGJuR-56u8J9yZP2HBS=f6jzWpDyn1d6yzfeaUBW6LWEqUDhng@mail.gmail.com
Although I was able to "guix pull" with "sudo", as root user normally. As
far as I know guix pull updates only per-user when called.
Can I use the result from root somehow?

пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 08:50, Grigory Shepelev <shegeley@gmail.com>:

Toggle quote (32 lines)
> Thanks for your research.
> Any ideas on how to fix it? I would change the file itself, but /gnu/store
> is read-only.
>
> пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 00:50, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:
>
>> Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 00:12 [+0300]:
>> > Extended research. Lead to
>> >
>> > ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
>> > In procedure scm_lreadr: /gnu/store/l375q7zi0k894a03xdfsq8qsm5nh2m97-
>> > module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:822:1: illegal character in escape
>> > sequence: #\return
>> >
>> > Possibly related to https://www.mail-archive.com/help-
>> > guix@gnu.org/msg12265.html
>>
>> Here's a minimal reproducer:
>>
>> Run the following in a REPL:
>> (call-with-input-string "\"Hello\\\rcarriage return!\"" read).
>>
>> Alternatively, run guile -l c.scm on the attached file.
>>
>> In both cases, you'll get
>> > invalid character in escape sequence: #\return
>> > > >
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Maxime
>>
>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 17 Dec 2021 07:53
(name . Grigory Shepelev)(address . shegeley@gmail.com)
5a3c1ce4e92f59f90cfbbc4dd311f399b689f37b.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 08:50 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Thanks for your research.
> Any ideas on how to fix it? I would change the file itself, but
> /gnu/store is read-only.

The file isn't broken; it looks like a bug in Guile, so to fix things,
Guile needs to be fixed.

Though I don't know why you encounter the bug but I don't when doing a
"guix pull".

Greetings,
Maxime.
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 17 Dec 2021 07:59
(name . Grigory Shepelev)(address . shegeley@gmail.com)
cdb13df88d20375a138a8a5cbeaa1d82e34eac70.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 09:21 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (5 lines)
> Although I was able to "guix pull" with "sudo", as root user
> normally. As far as I know guix pull updates only per-user when
> called.
> Can I use the result from root somehow?

Determine the full store path of root's guix & run that.

Greetings,
Maxime
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 17 Dec 2021 10:07
(name . Maxime Devos)(address . maximedevos@telenet.be)(address . 52559@debbugs.gnu.org)
CAGJuR-71SbXUhXyRxYdAhwniKm0NWaEQEvFzKUev71e5ojL5Cw@mail.gmail.com
I tried different approaches to copy guix-related stuff from root to my
user and failed each time. I mean: I've failed each time with almost the
same error as at the beginning except for the log was about escape sequence
from the very beginning.

пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 09:59, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (12 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 09:21 [+0300]:
> > Although I was able to "guix pull" with "sudo", as root user
> > normally. As far as I know guix pull updates only per-user when
> > called.
> > Can I use the result from root somehow?
>
> Determine the full store path of root's guix & run that.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime
>
>
Attachment: file
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 27 Dec 2021 15:27
CAGJuR-61yEhVuu3=BxNJHU5YmBk=4ZgFkOqB_HG-mT=d4djKpQ@mail.gmail.com
After the last letter my laptop's motherboard broke. It was replaced
recently but all the data was lost from the SSD due to encryption...
TLDR: I made a backup and reinstalled the system.
But the problem still persists. How can I safely move root's profile into
the user's one? Tinkering with any root-related things is a danger zone
for me, so I won't do anything on my own until there are any clear
instructions.
As previously: from root "guix pull" works perfectly. From users it has the
same problem (nix-related error).


пт, 17 дек. 2021 г. в 09:59, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (12 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op vr 17-12-2021 om 09:21 [+0300]:
> > Although I was able to "guix pull" with "sudo", as root user
> > normally. As far as I know guix pull updates only per-user when
> > called.
> > Can I use the result from root somehow?
>
> Determine the full store path of root's guix & run that.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime
>
>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 27 Dec 2021 16:53
126909c9ba83af91672f9352bf1c2cf6daa1f3fc.camel@telenet.be
Hi,

Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 27-12-2021 om 17:27 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (8 lines)
> After the last letter my laptop's motherboard broke. It was replaced
> recently but all the data was lost from the SSD due to encryption...
> TLDR: I made a backup and reinstalled the system.
> But the problem still persists. How can I safely move root's profile
> into the user's one?  Tinkering with any root-related things is a
> danger zone for me, so I won't do anything on my own until there are
> any clear instructions.

You could try deleting /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER and running
"$THE_GUIX_OF_ROOT pull" and "$guix install ...". I don't see why that
wouldn't work, but I've never tried it and 0 warranty.

Toggle quote (3 lines)
> As previously: from root "guix pull" works perfectly. From users it
> has the same problem (nix-related error).

Could you search for "show-derivation" in the back-up? E.g. with grep -
rF show-derivation. Maybe there's a leftover from when you used nix
somewhere ...

Greetings,
Maxime.
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 27 Dec 2021 19:01
CAGJuR-4OebKC_A0Wh249i4bUUUFnRyBKOVmVSAjDhHq57Dge1g@mail.gmail.com
Created new user. Tested from it. Guix pull works great. Now will move the
stuff.
Thanks a lot.

пн, 27 дек. 2021 г., 18:53 Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (26 lines)
> Hi,
>
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 27-12-2021 om 17:27 [+0300]:
> > After the last letter my laptop's motherboard broke. It was replaced
> > recently but all the data was lost from the SSD due to encryption...
> > TLDR: I made a backup and reinstalled the system.
> > But the problem still persists. How can I safely move root's profile
> > into the user's one? Tinkering with any root-related things is a
> > danger zone for me, so I won't do anything on my own until there are
> > any clear instructions.
>
> You could try deleting /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER and running
> "$THE_GUIX_OF_ROOT pull" and "$guix install ...". I don't see why that
> wouldn't work, but I've never tried it and 0 warranty.
>
> > As previously: from root "guix pull" works perfectly. From users it
> > has the same problem (nix-related error).
>
> Could you search for "show-derivation" in the back-up? E.g. with grep -
> rF show-derivation. Maybe there's a leftover from when you used nix
> somewhere ...
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.
>
>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 27 Dec 2021 21:08
5b05c5f5a4b9dd2f045271590ccb83bc3efd2981.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 27-12-2021 om 21:01 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Created new user. Tested from it. Guix pull works great. Now will
> move the stuff. 
> Thanks a lot. 

Seems like the issue has been resolved, so closing.
If you want to re-open the bug report, see

Greetings,
Maxime.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iI0EABYKADUWIQTB8z7iDFKP233XAR9J4+4iGRcl7gUCYcodShccbWF4aW1lZGV2
b3NAdGVsZW5ldC5iZQAKCRBJ4+4iGRcl7h2mAP9iKgBQcL47SATFxvxQR9dJT74c
AWTCEiCS+eJazKWZ+gD+NnAEFImXlWGTQtFWRd5l74ZRpu9MC7jn6MTIULvk8As=
=J5bO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Closed
G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 17 Jan 20:02 +0100
CAGJuR-6UdsE4W-mVWvtYbPC+q4Ugg0u-zZMKUNpWixCyRM3Skg@mail.gmail.com
Encountered same problem again on both machines (recently installed guix on
laptop and an old desktop PC of mine).

Seems like the problems arise after home reconfiguration. Still can pull
successfully from the root user.

On "usual user" I have to move all my stuff from home to a separate
directory.

cd ~; mkdir vault; mv * vault; mv .* vault;

Then guix pull works. Of course all the home configuration content is lost.
And I have to reconfigure my home. And then recover all files except for
".guix-home" and etc. from the "vault" dir.

I wondered that happens because of wrong lang/locale settings, So I even
forced them in my user's config:

(simple-service 'some-useful-env-vars-service
home-environment-variables-service-type
`(("LC_ALL" . "en_US.UTF-8")
("LANG" . "en_US.UTF-8")
("GDM_LANG" . "en_US.UTF-8")
("LANGUAGE" . "en_US")
("EDITOR" . "emacs")))

Still the same problem.

пн, 27 дек. 2021 г. в 23:08, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (12 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 27-12-2021 om 21:01 [+0300]:
> > Created new user. Tested from it. Guix pull works great. Now will
> > move the stuff.
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> Seems like the issue has been resolved, so closing.
> If you want to re-open the bug report, see
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html>.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.
>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 17 Jan 20:31 +0100
9dcfde1baca2a1305c84b7f31c69a65b387f1734.camel@telenet.be
Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 17-01-2022 om 22:02 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> Encountered same problem again on both machines (recently installed
> guix on laptop and an old desktop PC of mine). 


What is the ‘same problem’ here? IIRC, there were two separate
problems.

Do you mean this one:

Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....
module-import-compiled.drv"

Toggle quote (3 lines)
> Seems like the problems arise after home reconfiguration. Still can
> pull successfully from the root user. 

I didn't know you were using "guix home", was this also the case in the
original report? This seems potentially relevant information. The
exact contents of the home configuration (with personal information
removed and preferably reduced to a minimal test case) could be useful
to investigate the issue.

Or was ‘same problem’ the following

Greetings,
Maxime.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iI0EABYKADUWIQTB8z7iDFKP233XAR9J4+4iGRcl7gUCYeXEBhccbWF4aW1lZGV2
b3NAdGVsZW5ldC5iZQAKCRBJ4+4iGRcl7swhAQDMXKSmSDbRNYjDbgYxH6aGtB5Y
ZnNjvWsx+Z/Lxn93WgD8CpSOs2nLSTNViN6VC2P9UDjkQhMhxtsOMZMkKu/KwAs=
=nFk8
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


G
G
Grigory Shepelev wrote on 17 Jan 20:37 +0100
(name . Maxime Devos)(address . maximedevos@telenet.be)(address . 52559@debbugs.gnu.org)
CAGJuR-6C5LbZBUs=Xar48M2J-zJwn-SGZWRgB4N_K0o96rGpOA@mail.gmail.com
Same problem is:
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |ice-9/read.scm:126:4: In
procedure read-string: gnu/packages/virtualization.scm:643:1: invalid
character in escape sequence: #\return
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/kms78b5wzmp763lljsazbp8v8a88p1z8-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix ...

on "guix pull".

All my config are right there:

пн, 17 янв. 2022 г. в 22:31, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>:

Toggle quote (29 lines)
> Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 17-01-2022 om 22:02 [+0300]:
> > Encountered same problem again on both machines (recently installed
> > guix on laptop and an old desktop PC of mine).
>
> See <https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html> for how to re-open.
>
> What is the ‘same problem’ here? IIRC, there were two separate
> problems.
>
> Do you mean this one:
>
> Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....
> module-import-compiled.drv"
>
> > Seems like the problems arise after home reconfiguration. Still can
> > pull successfully from the root user.
>
> I didn't know you were using "guix home", was this also the case in the
> original report? This seems potentially relevant information. The
> exact contents of the home configuration (with personal information
> removed and preferably reduced to a minimal test case) could be useful
> to investigate the issue.
>
> Or was ‘same problem’ the following
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52559#15>?
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.
>
Attachment: file
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 17 Jan 20:44 +0100
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)(address . 52559@debbugs.gnu.org)
be4ecb0cc851828309a6ee8ea0f632008f0daa0d.camel@telenet.be
reopen 52559
reassign 52559 guile
retitle 52559 Guile doesn't like carriage returns after \
thanks

(I thought I renamed it already?)

Grigory Shepelev schreef op ma 17-01-2022 om 22:37 [+0300]:
Toggle quote (11 lines)
> Same problem is:
> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |ice-
> 9/read.scm:126:4: In procedure read-string:
> gnu/packages/virtualization.scm:643:1: invalid character in escape
> sequence: #\return
> guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
> '/gnu/store/kms78b5wzmp763lljsazbp8v8a88p1z8-compute-guix-derivation'
> failed to compute the derivation for Guix ...
>
> on "guix pull".

I reassigned the bug to Guile since that is were the issue appears to
be. To Guile people who haven't seen this bug report before, there's
a minimal reproducer at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52559#15.

Greetings,
Maxime.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iI0EABYKADUWIQTB8z7iDFKP233XAR9J4+4iGRcl7gUCYeXHNRccbWF4aW1lZGV2
b3NAdGVsZW5ldC5iZQAKCRBJ4+4iGRcl7pX8AQCs5+OHFGehGaW6ebx7E/6bdzv/
dfF2GkjH0g75j5W9kQEA4+ITznix/aoednsO5E9w1FGbiRXBac8vFJ1ZsZ65swc=
=W77U
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


?
Your comment

Commenting via the web interface is currently disabled.

To comment on this conversation send email to 52559@debbugs.gnu.org