[PATCH] Ignore temporary files created my macOS

DoneSubmitted by Pavel Shlyak.
Details
4 participants
  • Liliana Marie Prikler
  • Maxime Devos
  • Mathieu Othacehe
  • Pavel Shlyak
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
P
P
Pavel Shlyak wrote on 26 May 19:34 +0200
(address . guix-patches@gnu.org)
495F2615-DF0B-4972-AEDA-71387F8E38CA@pantherx.org
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Storeand https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository for more details
L
L
Liliana Marie Prikler wrote on 26 May 21:33 +0200
1e97a576dafd4e50bc4880a0b3aa56be7dd350da.camel@gmail.com
Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 20:34 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository
>  for more details
Is there a realistic chance that anyone working on Guix will ever
commit this to upstream? Note that you can set up a global gitignore,
e.g. under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore on Linux distros such as Guix
System.

Cheers
P
P
Pavel Shlyak wrote on 26 May 22:24 +0200
(name . Liliana Marie Prikler)(address . liliana.prikler@gmail.com)(address . 55662@debbugs.gnu.org)
F9E2060E-C9D6-4804-8B90-FDF0DE4C414F@pantherx.org
I hope so!

Toggle quote (12 lines)
> 26 мая 2022 г., в 22:33, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 20:34 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
>> Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store and
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository
>> for more details
> Is there a realistic chance that anyone working on Guix will ever
> commit this to upstream? Note that you can set up a global gitignore,
> e.g. under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore on Linux distros such as Guix
> System.
>
> Cheers
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 26 May 23:07 +0200
Re: [bug#55662] [PATCH] Ignore temporary files created my macOS
e51ff5973380697a0f6525e358bbe0a5ac715bfe.camel@telenet.be
Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 26-05-2022 om 21:33 [+0200]:
Toggle quote (11 lines)
> Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 20:34 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
> > Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store and
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository
> >  for more details
> Is there a realistic chance that anyone working on Guix will ever
> commit this to upstream? Note that you can set up a global gitignore,
> e.g. under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore on Linux distros such as Guix
> System.
>
> Cheers

Can be useful if someone wants to port Guix to Apple systems -- a huge
effort I'd think, but why not? Or if someone edits Guix on an Apple
system (maybe documentation, which doesn't require actually building
Guix) and pulls it from a VM to test it inside the VM (writing
modifications outside the VM, running the result inside).

Greetings,
Maxime.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iI0EABYKADUWIQTB8z7iDFKP233XAR9J4+4iGRcl7gUCYo/r9RccbWF4aW1lZGV2
b3NAdGVsZW5ldC5iZQAKCRBJ4+4iGRcl7sM/AQDkCBSjAMxp9JFuMH8xbCJqMtUE
MBTOiqSWPG3loQJLrwEAso640g7hslHWv2ZVU+tsmcxvp7uDSZe1c8O6ZZtM6go=
=9LLB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


L
L
Liliana Marie Prikler wrote on 26 May 23:09 +0200
Re: [PATCH] Ignore temporary files created my macOS
(name . Pavel Shlyak)(address . p.shlyak@pantherx.org)(address . 55662@debbugs.gnu.org)
b1dfe2c4fd235ff3debfd185fc27e8c3c977da80.camel@gmail.com
Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 23:24 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
Toggle quote (13 lines)
> I hope so!
>
> > 26 мая 2022 г., в 22:33, Liliana Marie Prikler
> > <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> написал(а):
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 20:34 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
> > > Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store and
> > > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository
> > >  for more details
> > Is there a realistic chance that anyone working on Guix will ever
> > commit this to upstream?  Note that you can set up a global
> > gitignore, e.g. under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore on Linux distros
> > such as Guix System.
Pardon my lack of clarity. By "this" I meant a file that's exclusively
produced by a proprietary operating system for no good reason (the
.DS_Store). I don't think any of our committers run a risk of
accidentally pushing it, do they?
P
P
Pavel Shlyak wrote on 26 May 23:09 +0200
Re: [bug#55662] [PATCH] Ignore temporary files created my macOS
(name . Maxime Devos)(address . maximedevos@telenet.be)
43942523-3DC2-48C3-9F58-2798B20E48B4@pantherx.org
Yeah, that’s exactly what I do here. I run headless VM on an ARM Mac as it provides better performance than raspberry pi that I develop for.

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Or if someone edits Guix on an Apple
> system (maybe documentation, which doesn't require actually building
> Guix) and pulls it from a VM to test it inside the VM (writing
> modifications outside the VM, running the result inside).
M
M
Maxime Devos wrote on 26 May 23:43 +0200
(address . 55662@debbugs.gnu.org)
c5995bc4ac1f5887c0683237f59c8d12d2d6dd8a.camel@telenet.be
Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 26-05-2022 om 23:09 [+0200]:
Toggle quote (19 lines)
> Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 23:24 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
> > I hope so!
> >
> > > 26 мая 2022 г., в 22:33, Liliana Marie Prikler
> > > <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> написал(а):
> > >
> > > Am Donnerstag, dem 26.05.2022 um 20:34 +0300 schrieb Pavel Shlyak:
> > > > Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store and
> > > > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107701/how-can-i-remove-ds-store-files-from-a-git-repository
> > > >  for more details
> > > Is there a realistic chance that anyone working on Guix will ever
> > > commit this to upstream?  Note that you can set up a global
> > > gitignore, e.g. under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore on Linux distros
> > > such as Guix System.
> Pardon my lack of clarity. By "this" I meant a file that's exclusively
> produced by a proprietary operating system for no good reason (the
> .DS_Store). I don't think any of our committers run a risk of
> accidentally pushing it, do they?

These files can clutter up "git status". And they can be accidentally
committed by people without push access (e.g. with "git add .").

Greetings,
Maxime.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iI0EABYKADUWIQTB8z7iDFKP233XAR9J4+4iGRcl7gUCYo/0aBccbWF4aW1lZGV2
b3NAdGVsZW5ldC5iZQAKCRBJ4+4iGRcl7tAnAP4vZQfg3ZskgmjgeljzOVlwZh4g
UKZUI57rCqXwysbliwEAyBk2ED6yMqEkap54WW5XN6yy6Nciq8U03ri3J07Ppgw=
=x/dA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


M
M
Mathieu Othacehe wrote on 5 Jun 21:07 +0200
Re: bug#55662: [PATCH] Ignore temporary files created my macOS
(name . Pavel Shlyak)(address . p.shlyak@pantherx.org)(address . 55662-done@debbugs.gnu.org)
87y1yblyjm.fsf@gnu.org
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> .gitignore | 1 +
> 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

Added a commit message and pushed!

Mathieu
Closed
?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 55662@debbugs.gnu.org