Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing

DoneSubmitted by Jacob Hrbek.
Details
2 participants
  • Jacob Hrbek
  • Marius Bakke
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
J
J
Jacob Hrbek wrote on 16 Jan 11:27 +0100
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)(address . yasu@yasuaki.com)
57e235e0-7709-6093-2224-758179451c63@rixotstudio.cz
See forwarded message

Steps to reproduce:
0. Get ungoogled-chromium
1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
2. Start a screenshare
3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare to
malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen share
changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

I assume that we need to include VP8 codec

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Jitsi Meet Screen Sharing with Ungoogled-Chromium
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:24:28 +0100
From: Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz>

To: help-guix@gnu.org



> Third party not a guix package

Those are not supported by GNU Guix and will be met with hostility,
because how dare you unfree scum!

---

Good thing that i ain't a bad person.. not part of GNU Guix to help! :p

Last time i tried it it worked out-of-the-box for me, i tested it now
again and also works without problem

GNU Guix (374fea0f3bc8035f626cb29e6045130df9ffdaf8) with
ungoogled-chromium-97.0.4692.71-1

Which was tested on the https://meet.jit.siinstance.. Provide a
javascript console log which should have an explanation for this
failure.. My current hypothesis is that your chromium doesn't provide a
sufficient/sane TURN server and so jitsi crashes.

See
on how to change the turn server.

..and to comply with GNU FSDG i have to tell you that using
non-ungoogled chromium and 3rd party repos is
unethical as it most
likely contains nonfree blobs which limit user freedom and contain
malware as such i am providing content of ~/.config/chromium in
attachment which should make your chromium more libre and i am also
encouraging you to use ungoogled-chromium.

EDIT: I missed the part with screensharing x.x .. on mentioned chromium
it starts printing:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

in the console when i have screenshare and when someone joins and the
screen share changes to a black screen so i believe that this is a bug
due to the lack of sufficient VP8 codec.

On 1/16/22 10:46, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
Toggle quote (1 lines)
> Is there any
one here who uses Jitsi Meet to share screens from Guix? Let me know!
Toggle quote (7 lines)
>
> At least in version 90 of chromium (third party, not a guix package), it used to work.
>
> With the current ungoogled-chromium on Guix, the moment someone else connects to the Jitsi session, ungooogled-chromium dies with an 'aw, snap' message.
>
> -Yasu

--
Jacob Hrbek
Attachment: file
Attachment: chromium.tar.gz
Attachment: signature.asc
J
J
Jacob Hrbek wrote on 16 Jan 11:30 +0100
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
7fe66c81-2660-a39b-8568-d5703330fb83@rixotstudio.cz
Created wiki entry about the issue

On 1/16/22 11:27, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
Toggle quote (21 lines)
>
> See forwarded message
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 0. Get ungoogled-chromium
> 1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
> 2. Start a screenshare
> 3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare
> to malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen
> share changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:
>
> [18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)]
> Absent receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
> [18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)]
> Failed to encode frame. Error code: -7
> [18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)]
> Failed to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)
>
> I assume that we need to include VP8 codec
>
> -------- Forwarded Me
ssage --------
Toggle quote (29 lines)
> Subject: Re: Jitsi Meet Screen Sharing with Ungoogled-Chromium
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:24:28 +0100
> From: Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz>
> To: help-guix@gnu.org
>
>
>
> > Third party not a guix package
>
> Those are not supported by GNU Guix and will be met with hostility,
> because how dare you unfree scum!
>
> ---
>
> Good thing that i ain't a bad person.. not part of GNU Guix to help! :p
>
> Last time i tried it it worked out-of-the-box for me, i tested it now
> again and also works without problem
>
> GNU Guix (374fea0f3bc8035f626cb29e6045130df9ffdaf8) with
> ungoogled-chromium-97.0.4692.71-1
>
> Which was tested on the https://meet.jit.si instance.. Provide a
> javascript console log which should have an explanation for this
> failure.. My current hypothesis is that your chromium doesn't provide
> a sufficient/sane TURN server and so jitsi crashes.
>
> See
> https://serverfault.com/questions/591837/how-does-chrome
-webrtc-select-which-turn-server-to-use-if-multiple-options-are-g
Toggle quote (35 lines)
> on how to change the turn server.
>
> ..and to comply with GNU FSDG i have to tell you that using
> non-ungoogled chromium and 3rd party repos is unethical as it most
> likely contains nonfree blobs which limit user freedom and contain
> malware as such i am providing content of ~/.config/chromium in
> attachment which should make your chromium more libre and i am also
> encouraging you to use ungoogled-chromium.
>
> EDIT: I missed the part with screensharing x.x .. on mentioned
> chromium it starts printing:
>
> [18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)]
> Absent receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
> [18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)]
> Failed to encode frame. Error code: -7
> [18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)]
> Failed to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

>
> in the console when i have screenshare and when someone joins and the
> screen share changes to a black screen so i believe that this is a bug
> due to the lack of sufficient VP8 codec.
>
> On 1/16/22 10:46, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
>> Is there anyone here who uses Jitsi Meet to share screens from Guix? Let me know!
>>
>> At least in version 90 of chromium (third party, not a guix package), it used to work.
>>
>> With the current ungoogled-chromium on Guix, the moment someone else connects to the Jitsi session, ungooogled-chromium dies with an 'aw, snap' message.
>>
>> -Yasu
> --
> Jacob Hrbek

--
Jacob Hrbek
Attachment: file
Attachment: signature.asc
M
M
Marius Bakke wrote on 17 Jan 18:35 +0100
Re: bug#53301: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing
(address . yasu@yasuaki.com)
87v8yi6z9f.fsf@gnu.org
Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> skriver:

Toggle quote (8 lines)
> Steps to reproduce:
> 0. Get ungoogled-chromium
> 1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
> 2. Start a screenshare
> 3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare to
> malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen share
> changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:

Fixed in f3b73e46df82297ffabaa3b32fc765fa3065cad0.

Thanks for the report and reproducer!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iIUEARYKAC0WIQRNTknu3zbaMQ2ddzTocYulkRQQdwUCYeWo/A8cbWFyaXVzQGdu
dS5vcmcACgkQ6HGLpZEUEHedwgD/bjU/T5nhC9QrWvPD4WOY4qClN2DljMd/acvv
tF8DaRoBAIMx09YAYWArSNXMub3kYxfcKOJQ9aAiJUmZqpL+IO0D
=ZEVy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Closed
?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 53301@debbugs.gnu.org