Failed to produce output path for guix-package-cache

OpenSubmitted by Roel Janssen.
Details
2 participants
  • Ludovic Courtès
  • Roel Janssen
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
R
R
Roel Janssen wrote on 22 Apr 2021 13:38
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
86b58d34-b9ae-b4bb-f64c-9250e2c109cd@gnu.org
Dear Guix,

I'm running into the following problem:

----
$ guix pull
Updating channel 'guix-science' from Git repository at
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
Building from these channels:
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv

building package cache...
/builder for
`/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv'
failed to produce output path
`/gnu/store/xgjiqmh9qlvnq1701zb5dsbbwnjx76qq-guix-package-cache'
build of
/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv failed
Could not find build log for
'/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of
`/gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv' failed
----

Is this a known problem? I assume this may be a problem with the
"guix-science" channel (which would be my own fault of course).
If it is, then perhaps the UI could be improved to show why the package
cache couldn't be built.
Perhaps, as a matter of diagnostics, it could build package caches
separately for each channel to pinpoint which channel is causing the
problem.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 28 Apr 2021 23:38
(name . Roel Janssen)(address . roel@gnu.org)(address . 47949@debbugs.gnu.org)
87h7jqozsv.fsf@gnu.org
Hi Roel,

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (10 lines)
> /builder for
> `/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv'
> failed to produce output path
> `/gnu/store/xgjiqmh9qlvnq1701zb5dsbbwnjx76qq-guix-package-cache'
> build of
> /gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv
> failed
> Could not find build log for
> '/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv'.

Could you find the log of this derivation? :-)

It’ll tell us what’s wrong.

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Perhaps, as a matter of diagnostics, it could build package caches
> separately for each channel to pinpoint which channel is causing the
> problem.

Yeah, we’ll have to see what’s doable, but I agree there’s room for
improvement here.

Ludo’.
R
R
Roel Janssen wrote on 29 Apr 2021 09:01
(name . Ludovic Courtès)(address . ludo@gnu.org)(address . 47949@debbugs.gnu.org)
26aef3de604e17d9199edff5f4b6eff170df8a1c.camel@gnu.org
On Wed, 2021-04-28 at 23:38 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Toggle quote (21 lines)
> Hi Roel,
>
> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> > /builder for
> > `/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-
> > cache.drv'
> > failed to produce output path
> > `/gnu/store/xgjiqmh9qlvnq1701zb5dsbbwnjx76qq-guix-package-cache'
> > build of
> > /gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv
> > failed
> > Could not find build log for
> > '/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-
> > cache.drv'.
>
> Could you find the log of this derivation?  :-)
>
> It’ll tell us what’s wrong.
>

I'm confused.. The message says "Could not find build log for ...". Is
there any other place I can look?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 29 Apr 2021 09:56
(name . Roel Janssen)(address . roel@gnu.org)(address . 47949@debbugs.gnu.org)
87zgxhmslv.fsf@gnu.org
Hi,

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (25 lines)
> On Wed, 2021-04-28 at 23:38 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi Roel,
>>
>> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:
>>
>> > /builder for
>> > `/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-
>> > cache.drv'
>> > failed to produce output path
>> > `/gnu/store/xgjiqmh9qlvnq1701zb5dsbbwnjx76qq-guix-package-cache'
>> > build of
>> > /gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv
>> > failed
>> > Could not find build log for
>> > '/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-
>> > cache.drv'.
>>
>> Could you find the log of this derivation?  :-)
>>
>> It’ll tell us what’s wrong.
>>
>
> I'm confused.. The message says "Could not find build log for ...". Is
> there any other place I can look?

“Could not find build log” typically happens if you’re talking to a
remote daemon, via GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET. In that case, the build log is
in /var/log/guix/drvs (or similar) on the machine where the daemon is
running.

HTH!

Ludo’.
?