Generated installation image does not include grub.

  • Done
  • quality assurance status badge
Details
4 participants
  • Gábor Boskovits
  • Danny Milosavljevic
  • Jesse Gibbons
  • Ludovic Courtès
Owner
unassigned
Submitted by
Jesse Gibbons
Severity
important
Merged with
J
J
Jesse Gibbons wrote on 23 Aug 2019 19:40
(name . bug-guix mailing list)(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
7eb5e5964ad6564c7cc6cc7711b18daf1faac64a.camel@gmail.com
1. generate the install image
guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
system install) installation-os)'

2. examine the resulting iso
readlink installation-os-x86_64.iso | xargs file

output: /gnu/store/3xp541s4zrxass6h6rcwfz7bc33wv84p-disk-image: DOS/MBR
boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, active, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-
CHS (0xe3,198,58), startsector 2048, 3657239 sectors; partition 2 :
ID=0xef, start-CHS (0xe3,198,59), end-CHS (0xe8,224,16), startsector
3659287, 81921 sectors

3. Compare this output with what file says about the official
installation iso:
x.iso.xz
unxz guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
readlink guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso

output:guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector;
GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2
address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201;
partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3f6,38,4),
startsector 1, 2694403 sectors, extended partition table (last)

It appears file discovered the GRand Unified Bootloader in the official
iso but not in the generated iso.

When I try to use the generated iso in virt-manager, it claims there
are no bootable drives. I think this is because the generated iso has
no GRUB.

The manual says to specify the file gnu/system/install.scm instead of
the value (@ (gnu system install) installation-os)) but ultimately they
give guix the same value, so I think that wouldn't make a difference.

removing --system=x86_64 does not trigger a full rebuild, so it looks
like guix does not expect to build anything different.

Guix describe outputs:

Generation 47 Aug 23 2019 09:22:24 (current)
guix d78bc23
branch: master
commit: d78bc23411b1351ff9495a511c22b27d17f9226f

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/jesse/Documents/broken-guix/Broken-Guix-
Packages"

Thanks
-Jesse
G
G
Gábor Boskovits wrote on 26 Aug 2019 22:44
(name . Jesse Gibbons)(address . jgibbons2357@gmail.com)(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
CAE4v=pg5uRj13oUONcYsUAAMgSUBb-y_Pf6VM8_Ay8+r8XFBWw@mail.gmail.com
Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug. 23.,
P, 19:41):

Toggle quote (6 lines)
> 1. generate the install image
> guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> system install) installation-os)'
>
>
Just a wild guess, does it work with the verbosity option removed?
I had issues with that in the past.

2. examine the resulting iso
Toggle quote (52 lines)
> readlink installation-os-x86_64.iso | xargs file
>
> output: /gnu/store/3xp541s4zrxass6h6rcwfz7bc33wv84p-disk-image: DOS/MBR
> boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, active, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-
> CHS (0xe3,198,58), startsector 2048, 3657239 sectors; partition 2 :
> ID=0xef, start-CHS (0xe3,198,59), end-CHS (0xe8,224,16), startsector
> 3659287, 81921 sectors
>
> 3. Compare this output with what file says about the official
> installation iso:
> wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linu
> x.iso.xz
> unxz guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
> readlink guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso
>
> output:guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector;
> GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2
> address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201;
> partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3f6,38,4),
> startsector 1, 2694403 sectors, extended partition table (last)
>
> It appears file discovered the GRand Unified Bootloader in the official
> iso but not in the generated iso.
>
> When I try to use the generated iso in virt-manager, it claims there
> are no bootable drives. I think this is because the generated iso has
> no GRUB.
>
> The manual says to specify the file gnu/system/install.scm instead of
> the value (@ (gnu system install) installation-os)) but ultimately they
> give guix the same value, so I think that wouldn't make a difference.
>
> removing --system=x86_64 does not trigger a full rebuild, so it looks
> like guix does not expect to build anything different.
>
> Guix describe outputs:
>
> Generation 47 Aug 23 2019 09:22:24 (current)
> guix d78bc23
> repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> branch: master
> commit: d78bc23411b1351ff9495a511c22b27d17f9226f
>
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/jesse/Documents/broken-guix/Broken-Guix-
> Packages"
>
> Thanks
> -Jesse
>
>
>
>
Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21
Attachment: file
J
J
Jesse Gibbons wrote on 27 Aug 2019 04:48
(name . Gábor Boskovits)(address . boskovits@gmail.com)(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
8d7dfc1c93a24a6dedac3733a6758fd9dafbe7a3.camel@gmail.com
On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 22:44 +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
Toggle quote (12 lines)
> Hello,
>
> Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug.
> 23., P, 19:41):
> > 1. generate the install image
> > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> > system install) installation-os)'
> >
>
> Just a wild guess, does it work with the verbosity option removed?
> I had issues with that in the past.
I tried generating an install image with --verbosity and another
without --verbosity. There was no difference because guix does not
expect the --verbosity option to make a difference.

I deleted the link and ran the garbage collector, then tried building
the image without --verbosity, but file does not detect grub. I think
it isn't a problem with 'file' because a virtual machine setup with
virt-manager does not think the ISO is bootable.
G
G
Gábor Boskovits wrote on 27 Aug 2019 07:09
(name . Jesse Gibbons)(address . jgibbons2357@gmail.com)(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
CAE4v=ph7XkAFSvk07xuwL442K5eQYxit-kTxt3=1fdfkZx8p1Q@mail.gmail.com
Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug. 27.,
K, 4:48):

Toggle quote (23 lines)
> On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 22:44 +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug.
> > 23., P, 19:41):
> > > 1. generate the install image
> > > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> > > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> > > system install) installation-os)'
> > >
> >
> > Just a wild guess, does it work with the verbosity option removed?
> > I had issues with that in the past.
> I tried generating an install image with --verbosity and another
> without --verbosity. There was no difference because guix does not
> expect the --verbosity option to make a difference.
>
> I deleted the link and ran the garbage collector, then tried building
> the image without --verbosity, but file does not detect grub. I think
> it isn't a problem with 'file' because a virtual machine setup with
> virt-manager does not think the ISO is bootable.
>

Is it possible that you are hit by this issue?
Could you try again after guix pull?

Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21
Attachment: file
J
J
Jesse Gibbons wrote on 28 Aug 2019 03:17
(name . Gábor Boskovits)(address . boskovits@gmail.com)(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
e247b0cbd4f1d5d412000f94a86a5d7b3711cc05.camel@gmail.com
On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 07:09 +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
Toggle quote (34 lines)
> Hello,
>
> Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug.
> 27., K, 4:48):
> > On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 22:44 +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
> > aug.
> > > 23., P, 19:41):
> > > > 1. generate the install image
> > > > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --
> > verbosity=3 --
> > > > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@
> > (gnu
> > > > system install) installation-os)'
> > > >
> > >
> > > Just a wild guess, does it work with the verbosity option
> > removed?
> > > I had issues with that in the past.
> > I tried generating an install image with --verbosity and another
> > without --verbosity. There was no difference because guix does not
> > expect the --verbosity option to make a difference.
> >
> > I deleted the link and ran the garbage collector, then tried
> > building
> > the image without --verbosity, but file does not detect grub. I
> > think
> > it isn't a problem with 'file' because a virtual machine setup with
> > virt-manager does not think the ISO is bootable.
>
> Is it possible that you are hit by this issue?
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36865
I don't see how grub.cfg not being a GC root could cause guix to build
an ISO without GRUB. Perhaps you could clarify your thoughts?

Toggle quote (1 lines)
> Could you try again after guix pull?
I pull'd but nothing changed.


commit according to guix describe:
48752f277c589435aab4d80947fa80f01577d55d


Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Best regards,
> g_bor
>

I tried the following:
cd ~/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/2.2/gnu/system/examples/
guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 bare-bones.tmpl |
xargs file

end result:
/gnu/store/g1ba8gkhkcjkdraxpnrw166i5qpa7cb9-disk-image: DOS/MBR boot
sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, active, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-CHS
(0xac,86,27), startsector 2048, 2766577 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0xef,
start-CHS (0xac,86,28), end-CHS (0xb1,111,48), startsector 2768625,
81921 sectors


As you can see, GRUB was not detected by file.

I noticed guix outputs odd characters when I try to build an ISO.
Here's a sample:
/��@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
"@ build-log 23054 1
)@ build-log 23054 1
@ build-log 23054 1

\��@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
)@ build-log 23054 1
@ build-log 23054 1

-��@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
Toggle quote (1 lines)
>@ build-log 23054 1
)@ build-log 23054 1
@ build-log 23054 1

\��@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
"@ build-log 23054 1
)@ build-log 23054 1
@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
�@ build-log 23054 1
)@ build-log 23054 1
@ build-log 23054 1

Perhaps this could be related.

I'm curious if anyone is able to replicate this bug.
--
-Jesse
D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 28 Aug 2019 10:30
(name . Jesse Gibbons)(address . jgibbons2357@gmail.com)
20190828103009.6a523625@scratchpost.org
Hi,

could you check gnu/bootloader/grub.scm install-grub (and maybe install-grub-efi) ?
They are build-side code so you can just use (write "foo\n") to add debugging messages.
Interesting would be DEVICE, MOUNT-POINT.

FWIW, I successfully built a new installation iso image from guix master (and booted it) a few days ago.

I still have that image and file(1) says:

Toggle quote (1 lines)
>guix-master-i686.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2 address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201; partition 2 : ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 2483356, 5760 sectors
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1mO5EACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqUrJgf+J/Na7jesiLxM8aookfLfywWNZwDOLg4iHg/5ebSPtu/BI2rsI0lKT8cs
WIAE4TK4K3qp0bUwFFVXMSNfJv3XG5HB/yb/5AQalESRwviduzpb+PFcOPjPwAkY
EIzkrAylnZEzbP4PiEd2GLrO2W6M6XMNA4TRSSfka5KSlBCXPCefLtQ13aePBw4C
Hq0EZ2TkbM33SIa9eIybz/b+yrwIW5J47NJX5gdKOJADOm/OEk+zPvF6WQQCTTuk
07IHnI+qVqBMWMQ8aqPyNUCWaaZIhwCErXZ+YC9vt5Eh5AvuUDmYveyDZN9n3Dl5
COLqquwVSq8bMpPlGz9/COHPNvQKpg==
=nckG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 28 Aug 2019 11:42
(name . Jesse Gibbons)(address . jgibbons2357@gmail.com)(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
87o909lj7y.fsf@gnu.org
Hello Jesse,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:

Toggle quote (30 lines)
> 1. generate the install image
> guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> system install) installation-os)'
>
> 2. examine the resulting iso
> readlink installation-os-x86_64.iso | xargs file
>
> output: /gnu/store/3xp541s4zrxass6h6rcwfz7bc33wv84p-disk-image: DOS/MBR
> boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, active, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-
> CHS (0xe3,198,58), startsector 2048, 3657239 sectors; partition 2 :
> ID=0xef, start-CHS (0xe3,198,59), end-CHS (0xe8,224,16), startsector
> 3659287, 81921 sectors
>
> 3. Compare this output with what file says about the official
> installation iso:
> wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linu
> x.iso.xz
> unxz guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
> readlink guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso
>
> output:guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector;
> GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2
> address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201;
> partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3f6,38,4),
> startsector 1, 2694403 sectors, extended partition table (last)
>
> It appears file discovered the GRand Unified Bootloader in the official
> iso but not in the generated iso.

I can’t seem to reproduce it now:

Toggle snippet (14 lines)
$ guix describe
Generacio 101 Aug 26 2019 09:31:24 (nuna)
guix a707484
repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
branch: master
commit: a707484d64e7e46f8cb8401c660fbb6eb77ab9c6
$ guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9660 gnu/system/install.scm
/gnu/store/cpyyjnwbpm2hrpcjf1j8y4yjis9za33s-image.iso
$ file /gnu/store/cpyyjnwbpm2hrpcjf1j8y4yjis9za33s-image.iso
/gnu/store/cpyyjnwbpm2hrpcjf1j8y4yjis9za33s-image.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2 address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201; partition 2 : ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 2711068, 5760 sectors
$ guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9660 -e '(@ (gnu system install) installation-os)'
/gnu/store/cpyyjnwbpm2hrpcjf1j8y4yjis9za33s-image.iso

Not sure what’s going on…

Ludo’.
D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 29 Aug 2019 00:17
20190829001239.5fabca1d@scratchpost.org
Hi Jesse,

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 11:11:45 -0600
Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> wrote:

Toggle quote (7 lines)
> Did you follow the instructions in the manual calling the file to
> generate that (as the manual specifies) or did you include the option:
>
> -e '(@ (gnu system install) installation-os)'
>
> to specify the os configuration?

The former. I've now tried the invocation you used and I get both the funny
characters and the image without grub in it.

Then I tried the invocation I usually use and it's the same, funny characters
and the image is without grub.

Something is definitely up O_o

$ guix describe
Generation 11 27. August 2019 01:23:33 (aktuell)
guix d8f0834
Branch: master
Commit: d8f08344a7d6060fca73c12fe27a0d1a3528acda

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/dannym/.local/guix"
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1m/YgACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqVkPgf/Zmy03Z0hxxIaw6ovbcsEMJgOW3LSzM+Zfy6oDElKoZ+Isz/73bgeutKH
DoQW1muSpG756FGbXknX3XDdkSFaqxeWHX05vUqHGa1YSfM91onTOmX+fJfBrUmK
RW17kErRBMhC8mPLVwhdk+r7/GwRbU6z+iQ8zg3W6bDB0hNBs8l8o/eVteeIwbci
MNz1JZiriXv1CN7nWUxlNQh/20vbjaOScaOJhea2vKPTwYPDhJAFi0ZK8PzGHGmh
2Cho0Ha+q+pdGFHasJrrN8+SxI45sUtYRlq5oCXiTu76jilYLlQrhUp7Bx7MiGxa
GYMCmQvl5ZX91M+RIQy7tlwoHWh1LA==
=x2Om
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


J
J
Jesse Gibbons wrote on 29 Aug 2019 00:25
(address . 37164@debbugs.gnu.org)
6ddffaef52c93f910ef4468a72a828d338ed1fa5.camel@gmail.com
I tried re-enabling verbose debugging in the following script:

guix gc
guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=2 -e '(@
(gnu system install) installation-os)'

and got the attached log. Note the following near the end:

loading '/gnu/store/sy8cllslzndsm5wg76xhj44acxmsbyyg-linux-vm-
loader'...
environment variable `PATH' set to
`/gnu/store/ql5vzaj81wvcrpvp26s40iprw8dkar9m-qemu-minimal-
3.1.0/bin:/gnu/store/nrdc0di2v294y9ygiqdxw6sxkziym7mi-parted-
3.2/sbin:/gnu/store/hlx65zy9dddvzfzna59830ba73sny9yr-e2fsprogs-
1.45.2/bin:/gnu/store/hlx65zy9dddvzfzna59830ba73sny9yr-e2fsprogs-
1.45.2/sbin:/gnu/store/sxr2q3rcqk48lrpckazzlncp99k8bkp4-dosfstools-
4.1/sbin:/gnu/store/lmfddplnplxd03bcqv3w9pynbnr1fp8k-sed-
4.5/bin:/gnu/store/02k245xy33cvcnr8vm3lagm9zmb1s2wa-grep-
3.1/bin:/gnu/store/5s2nib1lrd2101bbrivcl17kjx1mspw6-coreutils-
8.30/bin:/gnu/store/fd621k6fmdnr1yiw0lbvw5spqaa169j3-findutils-
4.6.0/bin:/gnu/store/l67sib1ld0fgyf0f4vrzyxnmn4yvimvb-gawk-4.2.1/bin'
[ 2.090988] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
creating partition table with 2 partitions (1786.0 MiB, 40.0 MiB)...
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
performance.
Backtrace:
4 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/x19zk71zj8mh9i5mbhy4i1ml6vi���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
"@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:
563:4 3 (initialize-hard-disk "/dev/vda" #:bootloader-package _
���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
640:9 2 (for-each #<procedure initialize-partition (partition)> #)
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:
329:3 1 (initialize-partition #<<partition> device:
"/dev/vda1"���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
Toggle quote (1 lines)
>@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In unknown file:
0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A" ("Unsupported file syst���@
build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
"@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1
@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1


ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
Unsupported file system.
[ 70.721155] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000100
[ 70.722153] CPU: 2 PID: 168 Comm: init Not tainted 5.2.10-gnu #1
[ 70.722933] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996),
BIOS rel-1.12.0-0-ga698c8995f-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
[ 70.724324] Call Trace:
[ 70.724654] dump_stack+0x63/0x85
[ 70.725085] panic+0xfe/0x2d4
[ 70.725461] do_exit+0xb9d/0xba0
[ 70.725848] ? wait_woken+0x80/0x80
[ 70.726251] do_group_exit+0x43/0xb0
[ 70.726682] get_signal+0x14f/0x830
[ 70.727089] ? new_sync_read+0x122/0x1b0
[ 70.727546] do_signal+0x34/0x6d0
[ 70.727933] ? __vfs_read+0x29/0x40
[ 70.728341] ? fput+0x13/0x20
[ 70.728690] exit_to_usermode_loop+0x7c/0xf0
[ 70.729191] do_syscall_64+0x118/0x130
[ 70.729631] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
[ 70.730216] RIP: 0033:0x4bac5c
[ 70.730670] Code: Bad RIP value.
[ 70.731085] RSP: 002b:00007f251e8323b0 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX:
0000000000000000
[ 70.732018] RAX: fffffffffffffe00 RBX: 0000000000000005 RCX:
00000000004bac5c
[ 70.732942] RDX: 0000000000000001 RSI: 00007f251e832880 RDI:
0000000000000005
[ 70.733801] RBP: 00007f251e832880 R08: 0000000000000000 R09:
0000000000652030
[ 70.734623] R10: 0000000000000008 R11: 0000000000000246 R12:
0000000000000001
[ 70.735434] R13: 0000000000000002 R14: 0000000000000002 R15:
000000000000000a
[ 70.736326] Kernel Offset: 0x11000000 from 0xffffffff81000000
(relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xffffffffbfffffff)
[ 70.737555] Rebooting in 1 seconds..
file-size: /gnu/store/kw357rqfm7kw4rhx1sbakw3jc4zpi6gy-nss-certs-
3.45/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.73.
65.44.228.0.16.pem: No such file or directory
file-size: /gnu/store/vysii5zxdaxiz4pmb468rpn7i4x08qga-
profile/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.
73.65.44.228.0.16.pem: No such file or directory


Am I really the only one who has this issue? Could it be related to
something in my os configuration or in my local profile?
--
-Jesse
Attachment: build.log
D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 29 Aug 2019 00:36
20190829003651.74bd0c61@scratchpost.org
Toggle quote (3 lines)
> Then I tried the invocation I usually use and it's the same, funny characters
> and the image is without grub.

Debugging it some further, it's trying to format an iso9660 partition inside the VM.

There's an (error ...) inside the VM and the later Guix parts say "successfully built". WTF?!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1nAgMACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqVuCAf8DuGl9dUz0A+ZfHCid0KtnglhPzfGfXiFPrQ5vCYX2H01DirOakYDz7+V
p+CVnTbxbWZFUwgZnJP5BRHMd5y+hQTFWkfyk9uq4gVxl3WqBYm0Rwva406mKUVQ
nSZhPMeB8Z1WHe2AKNnujF/VE6yLi/Y0CSE/JmkEh9yWU5KcXzzE9RMqSX7A4KM+
vI6ufrHqjcGpgqfkK9/kjmzYJbS5AHAMfIlUTdHQWOibK+NnMN72xk1XuBQxroZc
vl4S39WqOpCqs8Po78x6sGI2uwMVxuHmRm8Q0HpvDztCOapbnmAVRLI6AQ6wV/+i
TXX9AQJPa4sT+yuQVPrX9IuiZp+XaA==
=jTjr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 29 Aug 2019 00:54
20190829005452.0911d584@scratchpost.org
I also see in the VM:

file-size: /gnu/store/kw357rqfm7kw4rhx1sbakw3jc4zpi6gy-nss-certs-3.45/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.73.65.44.228.0.16.pem: Noy
file-size: /gnu/store/vysii5zxdaxiz4pmb468rpn7i4x08qga-profile/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.73.65.44.228.0.16.pem: No such fy


(garbagge in the original)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1nBjwACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqVsDwgAlwbj4JAziUa2IB/EKNaus16aebRIkFWh8ztfl2iXSwF1RJVS+2i5ff+1
06wGIQdG4nMn5MJTZf02h+QsvoO3OOnP/ul2ZmWgJqImr55B3oqOorVTGX70yLtG
I9OUdQYnGKYpvn/WzO4kwb3VE/txWEwi4Pl/LGXZWSzjrE8NAAiWZ1UydnVnj9VF
VSUjzaITnI73vy+wEU81vdFaPv211pJB1j1F1S5Glc1Wvih92oTTY7Xax8ORsePP
OY/2X0xAoU5MQ/Pc28ifdR7P4nw4K/zIXLoTHVtRGMszkoyQ11muRXLm70arQE/o
a4ndcZ4XVzeNuC30lbpjk1TsuUsVCA==
=quZw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 29 Aug 2019 01:46
20190829014633.5f2a8cd7@scratchpost.org
And also the volume uuid passed to xorriso is:

"\x0eJ)\x90ö± bn\x00\x19y+u\x90ê"
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1nElkACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqUL8Af/XUTfDR1ikUp6f+g4tRwh51P8llkSQeFJK083BLD7bAhMUqBsjJv+Jv43
kkLZfrSdlXIfwXG0RMwKkbBzhqh6Y8JCHwWfRJFwO6fSAMkbpYkOtgELa37IIAVj
pCeAE4ol3g0zZFvKuAk7nTzrYQernkhLBc9qA7z8pX5OLwwd1IWg2YuMEgdOELTp
y1zL0moT7Md/e0mcImabN/18FDlxAOtvMtK5vlI8fnANFlto6M9j0zfKKqJwhaql
svZYR7FgUHz9BV9o4ToWYM5fOQPte5Z7UksVWmBJYOgSTX4vz5tJGRiqf1/lrqz+
1ugbBdqLfMKV8HvQU9zua6AfW4+qKg==
=Z6je
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


D
D
Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 29 Aug 2019 02:34
(name . Jesse Gibbons)(address . jgibbons2357@gmail.com)
20190829023458.1ca4ba50@scratchpost.org
Toggle quote (7 lines)
> Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > 1. generate the install image
> > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> > system install) installation-os)'

There's a typo there :)

You wrote: iso9600
It should be: iso9660

But the error message could be vastly improved O_o
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEds7GsXJ0tGXALbPZ5xo1VCwwuqUFAl1nHbIACgkQ5xo1VCww
uqWvIQgAjNHuHxwpEKWjbUKwNLmDVhYeqKUznGtEs04pbbV9bp9+DW5k77r4dLBZ
NwTgVtC9GK8RpLvoE7qpDdlk3TVjnc6cCDvzD3eDRxibEm/+PwnRxxLhDhgy4iWe
zt1bu9XXZo2Kf/srElz1q4uOgr6c+XWyQXS1c8gR3tZg+rv7jkXRc2EhG2nuGDyM
j5lmQ+nNGd57lf0vIfvhd8k1vBesfIOUyzTh17ZI1uz0g7b3aXlDCczinVgq5x3L
VJuUNl+IpF1hN2wAa9bQvdlnbpjQTFz7V1wRk3zns2EIMIw1uhWrc+2vok+EGyvs
itqBWXK+i3m61PKv8/VycqmMbsWdyw==
=cI9S
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


J
J
Jesse Gibbons wrote on 29 Aug 2019 07:18
(name . Danny Milosavljevic)(address . dannym@scratchpost.org)
185062c90db4bb6fa3a2521275bd293e31576938.camel@gmail.com
On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 02:34 +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
Toggle quote (15 lines)
> > Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:
> >
> > > 1. generate the install image
> > > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3
> > > --
> > > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@
> > > (gnu
> > > system install) installation-os)'
>
> There's a typo there :)
>
> You wrote: iso9600
> It should be: iso9660
>
> But the error message could be vastly improved O_o
It looks like this solves the issue.
G
G
Gábor Boskovits wrote on 29 Aug 2019 08:05
(name . Danny Milosavljevic)(address . dannym@scratchpost.org)
CAE4v=pjLowsSuhi82XvQEO5j2SUHT4LQvW7wbXCN_qNYFSKDYg@mail.gmail.com
Hello,

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. aug.
29., Cs, 2:36):

Toggle quote (15 lines)
> > Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:
> >
> > > 1. generate the install image
> > > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
> > > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
> > > system install) installation-os)'
>
> There's a typo there :)
>
> You wrote: iso9600
> It should be: iso9660
>
> But the error message could be vastly improved O_o
>

Wow, nice...

Yes, it is quite a hard to spot...

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21
Attachment: file
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 1 Sep 2019 22:37
control message for bug #37164
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
87a7bn92i9.fsf@gnu.org
severity 37164 important
quit
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 1 Sep 2019 22:37
control message for bug #34276
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
878sr792ht.fsf@gnu.org
merge 34276 37164
quit
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 1 Sep 2019 22:40
Re: bug#37164: Generated installation image does not include grub.
(name . Danny Milosavljevic)(address . dannym@scratchpost.org)
8736hf92cn.fsf@gnu.org
Hi,

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (14 lines)
>> Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> > 1. generate the install image
>> > guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
>> > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
>> > system install) installation-os)'
>
> There's a typo there :)
>
> You wrote: iso9600
> It should be: iso9660
>
> But the error message could be vastly improved O_o

As it turns out, what happens is this:

Toggle snippet (18 lines)
creating partition table with 2 partitions (1351.0 MiB, 40.0 MiB)....
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance..
Backtrace:.
4 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/j4941c2hs3dnhj8lvcmclsr4wmk…").
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:.
563:4 3 (initialize-hard-disk "/dev/vda" #:bootloader-package _ …).
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:.
640:9 2 (for-each #<procedure initialize-partition (partition)> #).
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:.
329:3 1 (initialize-partition #<<partition> device: "/dev/vda1"…>).
In unknown file:.
0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A" ("Unsupported file syst…") …).
.
ERROR: In procedure scm-error:.
Unsupported file system..
[ 44.968721] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100.

Unfortunately, as noted in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34276,
that still produces an image, albeit a broken image.

I’m merging the bugs.

To be continued…

Ludo’.
?