man page version is outdated in Guix 0.12.0 tarball

DoneSubmitted by Alex Vong.
Details
4 participants
  • Alex Vong
  • Ludovic Courtès
  • Mathieu Lirzin
  • Ricardo Wurmus
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
A
A
Alex Vong wrote on 5 Mar 2017 16:05
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
87wpc37oi5.fsf@gmail.com
Hello,

The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running

$ man guix

the name of the man page is

guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0

I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.


Cheers,
Alex
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
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=P23M
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

M
M
Mathieu Lirzin wrote on 5 Mar 2017 16:47
(name . Alex Vong)(address . alexvong1995@gmail.com)(address . 25976@debbugs.gnu.org)
877f43913v.fsf@gnu.org
Hi Alex,

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:

Toggle quote (13 lines)
> The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running
>
> $ man guix
>
> the name of the man page is
>
> guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0
>
> I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.
>
> [0]: https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-0.12.0.tar.gz
>

I think we should add the generated man pages to the
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES Automake variable and document the release process
in a "README-release" file which should contain running 'make
maintainer-clean'. There is one in Gnulib that could serve as a template:


I would recommend not distributing it in the tarball however.

Documenting the release process will hopefully help not missing some step.

Thanks for the report.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761 070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 6 Mar 2017 11:18
(name . Mathieu Lirzin)(address . mthl@gnu.org)
8760jmwvwd.fsf@gnu.org
Hi,

Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (20 lines)
> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running
>>
>> $ man guix
>>
>> the name of the man page is
>>
>> guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0
>>
>> I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.
>>
>> [0]: https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-0.12.0.tar.gz
>>
>
> I think we should add the generated man pages to the
> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES Automake variable and document the release process
> in a "README-release" file which should contain running 'make
> maintainer-clean'.

The process is currently documented here:


Would it work to have ‘distcheck’ depend on ‘maintainer-clean’? That
would be even better.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
M
M
Mathieu Lirzin wrote on 6 Mar 2017 11:56
(name . Ludovic Courtès)(address . ludo@gnu.org)
874lz6k70r.fsf@gnu.org
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

Toggle quote (28 lines)
> Hi,
>
> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running
>>>
>>> $ man guix
>>>
>>> the name of the man page is
>>>
>>> guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0
>>>
>>> I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.
>>>
>>> [0]: https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-0.12.0.tar.gz
>>>
>>
>> I think we should add the generated man pages to the
>> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES Automake variable and document the release process
>> in a "README-release" file which should contain running 'make
>> maintainer-clean'.
>
> The process is currently documented here:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/release.org

Oops I have overlooked that.

Toggle quote (3 lines)
> Would it work to have ‘distcheck’ depend on ‘maintainer-clean’? That
> would be even better.

Unfornately 'maintainer-clean' is removing the current Makefile so it
can't be used as a prerequisite.

I guess we can't do better that just adding a step for 'make
maintainer-clean' before 'make distcheck' in the release documentation.

While reading "doc/release.org" I have realized it doesn't speak about
fetching and committing the latest translations from the Translation Project.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761 070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 6 Mar 2017 15:45
(name . Mathieu Lirzin)(address . mthl@gnu.org)
87fuiqtqf9.fsf@gnu.org
Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (41 lines)
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>>
>>> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running
>>>>
>>>> $ man guix
>>>>
>>>> the name of the man page is
>>>>
>>>> guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0
>>>>
>>>> I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.
>>>>
>>>> [0]: https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-0.12.0.tar.gz
>>>>
>>>
>>> I think we should add the generated man pages to the
>>> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES Automake variable and document the release process
>>> in a "README-release" file which should contain running 'make
>>> maintainer-clean'.
>>
>> The process is currently documented here:
>>
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/release.org
>
> Oops I have overlooked that.
>
>> Would it work to have ‘distcheck’ depend on ‘maintainer-clean’? That
>> would be even better.
>
> Unfornately 'maintainer-clean' is removing the current Makefile so it
> can't be used as a prerequisite.
>
> I guess we can't do better that just adding a step for 'make
> maintainer-clean' before 'make distcheck' in the release documentation.

OK, makes sense. Could you add it?

Toggle quote (3 lines)
> While reading "doc/release.org" I have realized it doesn't speak about
> fetching and committing the latest translations from the Translation Project.

We usually fetch them any time we get a translation update notification
on the mailing list, which I think is equivalent no?

Thanks,
Ludo’.
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 6 Mar 2017 22:15
(name . Mathieu Lirzin)(address . mthl@gnu.org)
8737eq9kem.fsf@gnu.org
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

Toggle quote (45 lines)
> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>>>
>>>> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>
>>>>> The man page version in Guix 0.12.0 tarball[0] is outdated. When running
>>>>>
>>>>> $ man guix
>>>>>
>>>>> the name of the man page is
>>>>>
>>>>> guix - manual page for guix 0.11.0
>>>>>
>>>>> I think it was forgotten to be updated during the 0.12.0 release.
>>>>>
>>>>> [0]: https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-0.12.0.tar.gz
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I think we should add the generated man pages to the
>>>> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES Automake variable and document the release process
>>>> in a "README-release" file which should contain running 'make
>>>> maintainer-clean'.
>>>
>>> The process is currently documented here:
>>>
>>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/release.org
>>
>> Oops I have overlooked that.
>>
>>> Would it work to have ‘distcheck’ depend on ‘maintainer-clean’? That
>>> would be even better.
>>
>> Unfornately 'maintainer-clean' is removing the current Makefile so it
>> can't be used as a prerequisite.
>>
>> I guess we can't do better that just adding a step for 'make
>> maintainer-clean' before 'make distcheck' in the release documentation.
>
> OK, makes sense. Could you add it?

Now that I think of it, could it be that Ricardo didn’t have help2man
installed when building the tarball? Man pages get rebuilt anytime it’s
needed here.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
R
R
Ricardo Wurmus wrote on 7 Mar 2017 15:51
(name . Ludovic Courtès)(address . ludo@gnu.org)
87mvcx2l8n.fsf@elephly.net
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Now that I think of it, could it be that Ricardo didn’t have help2man
> installed when building the tarball? Man pages get rebuilt anytime it’s
> needed here.

This could have been the case. I don’t usually have it installed.
Sorry for screwing this up!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6 2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 5 May 2017 20:39
control message for bug #25976
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
87o9v72lnw.fsf@gnu.org
tags 25976 wontfix
close 25976
?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 25976@debbugs.gnu.org