"corrupt input while restoring archive from socket" after interrupted package install

DoneSubmitted by Harry Prevor.
Details
2 participants
  • Harry Prevor
  • Ludovic Courtès
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
H
H
Harry Prevor wrote on 16 May 2016 21:09
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
4681665490d5fc6597527c9d188c55a2@sdf.org
Hi all,

I tried to install emacs on guix recently, and I actually got a kernel
panic in the middle of installing so I had to do a hard reboot. Since
then, every time I tried to do guix package -i emacs I got this error:

Toggle quote (27 lines)
> substitute: Backtrace:
> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> substitute: 157: 9 [catch #t #<catch-closure e00500> ...]
> substitute: In unknown file:
> substitute: ?: 8 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure e00500>]
> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> substitute: 63: 7 [call-with-prompt prompt0 ...]
> substitute: In ice-9/eval.scm:
> substitute: 432: 6 [eval # #]
> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> substitute: 2401: 5 [save-module-excursion #<procedure e1f940 at
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:4045:3 ()>]
> substitute: 4050: 4 [#<procedure e1f940 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:4045:3 ()>]
> substitute: 1724: 3 [%start-stack load-stack #<procedure e32900 at
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:4041:10 ()>]
> substitute: 1729: 2 [#<procedure e37ea0 ()>]
> substitute: In unknown file:
> substitute: ?: 1 [primitive-load
> "/gnu/store/3g6zn8y5sfwywr4pqiwqrab735a0x4zl-guix-0.10.0/bin/.guix-real"]
> substitute: In guix/ui.scm:
> substitute: 1188: 0 [run-guix-command substitute "--query"]
> substitute:
> substitute: guix/ui.scm:1188:6: In procedure run-guix-command:
> substitute: guix/ui.scm:1188:6: Throw to key `match-error' with args
> `("match" "no matching pattern" #<eof>)'.
> guix package: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from socket

I run guix pull with regularity, so I should have the latest software.
Also, "guix gc --verify" yeilds no errors. "lfam" on IRC recommended
that I try finding all /gnu/store/*-emacs-* and running "guix gc -d" on
those files, but I tried that and even that didn't work. Can anyone
provide any suggestions / solutions to debug this?

Also, I am not subscribed to this list, so please CC me in any responses
to this message.

Thank you,

--
Harry Prevor
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 16 May 2016 23:10
(name . Harry Prevor)(address . habs@sdf.org)(address . 23557@debbugs.gnu.org)
877fetvhcz.fsf@gnu.org
Hello,

Harry Prevor <habs@sdf.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (3 lines)
> I tried to install emacs on guix recently, and I actually got a kernel
> panic in the middle of installing so I had to do a hard reboot.

Are you installing GuixSD, or are you installing Guix on another distro?

Toggle quote (30 lines)
> Since
> then, every time I tried to do guix package -i emacs I got this error:
>
>> substitute: Backtrace:
>> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> substitute: 157: 9 [catch #t #<catch-closure e00500> ...]
>> substitute: In unknown file:
>> substitute: ?: 8 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure e00500>]
>> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> substitute: 63: 7 [call-with-prompt prompt0 ...]
>> substitute: In ice-9/eval.scm:
>> substitute: 432: 6 [eval # #]
>> substitute: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> substitute: 2401: 5 [save-module-excursion #<procedure e1f940 at
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:4045:3 ()>]
>> substitute: 4050: 4 [#<procedure e1f940 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:4045:3 ()>]
>> substitute: 1724: 3 [%start-stack load-stack #<procedure e32900 at
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:4041:10 ()>]
>> substitute: 1729: 2 [#<procedure e37ea0 ()>]
>> substitute: In unknown file:
>> substitute: ?: 1 [primitive-load
>> "/gnu/store/3g6zn8y5sfwywr4pqiwqrab735a0x4zl-guix-0.10.0/bin/.guix-real"]
>> substitute: In guix/ui.scm:
>> substitute: 1188: 0 [run-guix-command substitute "--query"]
>> substitute:
>> substitute: guix/ui.scm:1188:6: In procedure run-guix-command:
>> substitute: guix/ui.scm:1188:6: Throw to key `match-error' with args
>> `("match" "no matching pattern" #<eof>)'.
>> guix package: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from socket

What does this command report (run as root):

guix substitute --help

Do you know what substitute server is being used?

Can you try:

guix build emacs --substitute-urls=http://mirror.hydra.gnu.org

and:

guix build emacs --substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.

PS: Please keep 23557@debbugs.gnu.org Cc’d.
H
H
Harry Prevor wrote on 22 May 2016 00:06
(address . ludo@gnu.org)(address . 23557@debbugs.gnu.org)
4ad1548fb393fe632d777a0269540a58@sdf.org
Thanks Ludo',

On 2016-05-16 17:10, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
Toggle quote (6 lines)
>> I tried to install emacs on guix recently, and I actually got a kernel
>> panic in the middle of installing so I had to do a hard reboot.
>
> Are you installing GuixSD, or are you installing Guix on another
> distro?

I'm trying to install emacs on GuixSD, which is running on a Thinkpad
X200.

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> What does this command report (run as root):
>
> guix substitute --help

This command just displays help text?

Toggle quote (2 lines)
> Do you know what substitute server is being used?

I don't know. I tried using guix substitute --substitute but I'm having
trouble identifying what the other two arguments should be.

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Can you try:
>
> guix build emacs --substitute-urls=http://mirror.hydra.gnu.org

It seems to have succeeded:

@ build-succeeded
/gnu/store/p5bhpqf6zj1kg55p4gyndrppswbskh8k-emacs-24.5.drv -
/gnu/store/35nvlacqcl3wv5al5lj3077h0hx4bn2q-emacs-24.5

After doing this, I tried doing "guix package -i emacs" again, and it
installed successfully! Thank you for your help; unfortunately I don't
know exactly what fixed this but I'd be happy to continue debugging if
it's of use to someone.

Toggle quote (7 lines)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ludo’.
>
> PS: Please keep 23557@debbugs.gnu.org Cc’d.

Will do!


---
Harry Prevor
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 22 May 2016 21:44
(name . Harry Prevor)(address . habs@sdf.org)(address . 23557-done@debbugs.gnu.org)
87k2ilsws8.fsf@gnu.org
Harry Prevor <habs@sdf.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (10 lines)
> On 2016-05-16 17:10, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>>> I tried to install emacs on guix recently, and I actually got a kernel
>>> panic in the middle of installing so I had to do a hard reboot.
>>
>> Are you installing GuixSD, or are you installing Guix on another
>> distro?
>
> I'm trying to install emacs on GuixSD, which is running on a Thinkpad
> X200.

[...]

Toggle quote (15 lines)
>> Can you try:
>>
>> guix build emacs --substitute-urls=http://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
>
> It seems to have succeeded:
>
> @ build-succeeded
> /gnu/store/p5bhpqf6zj1kg55p4gyndrppswbskh8k-emacs-24.5.drv -
> /gnu/store/35nvlacqcl3wv5al5lj3077h0hx4bn2q-emacs-24.5
>
> After doing this, I tried doing "guix package -i emacs" again, and it
> installed successfully! Thank you for your help; unfortunately I don't
> know exactly what fixed this but I'd be happy to continue debugging if
> it's of use to someone.

Frustrating, but a good outcome. ;-)

It could be that the thing was using http://hydra.gnu.org, and that this
server was overloaded and dropped the connection, or something.

In 0.10.0 we switched the default substitute server to
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org, a mirror that is much faster than
hydra.gnu.org.

If you reconfigure GuixSD from a recent Guix, GuixSD’s guix-daemon
service will use mirror.hydra.gnu.org.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
Closed
?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 23557@debbugs.gnu.org