Subject: Re: [bug#76063] [PATCH v2 2/3] services: Switch to‘shepherd-system-log-service-type’ in‘%base-services’.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 10:26:25 +0100

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/services/base.scm (%base-services): Replace ‘syslog-service-type’
> by ‘shepherd-system-log-service-type’.
> * doc/guix.texi (Base Services): Update ‘syslog-service-type’
> documentation.
> (Shepherd Services): Mention that ‘system-log-service-type’ is in
> ‘%base-services’.  Add anchor.
>
> Reviewed-by: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
> Change-Id: I21082300f6a052865a6ab1bdff27fbe71f73d492

I reverted this commit yesterday in
8c483c12e94bcf43e4c44170f1d5fea5fbba4970 due to deadlocks happening at
boot time and reported in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76315>.

I started investigating; it would seem to be a timing/scheduling issue
that shows up when eudev starts.  Adding a simple ‘format’ call in the
‘start’ method of eudev appears to “fix” the problem.

(Never encountered this on my laptop over 6+ months of ‘system-log’
usage…)

To be continued…

Ludo’.