Subject: Re: News entry for the survey

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2024 05:11:12 +0000

Hi Maxim,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2024 at 01:41 PM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised by the need of a news entry for this; I'd typically
> consider only news that impact users, or at least the software that Guix
> constitutes, as news worthy :-).  I wouldn't like the news channel to
> become some place where more "random" things get advertised, such as
> venues and what not.
>
> I'd prefer if this was kept to other communication channels, suchas the
> help-guix mailing list or the #guix IRC channel.
>
> My 2 cents!

Apologies for perhaps rushing this. I should have asked around and
gotten some consensus before such a change to how we use news. While I
do think it can be useful for such a thing, I do agree that this
probably leads to an erosion of the intended purpose of guix pull
--news now that I think more about it.

Does it make sense to revert it (how does that end up working for
news)? I can revert with a note to keep news more directly
software-related, lest it sets a precedent. Though maybe this should
be opened up to wider discussion.

Thanks for chiming in Maxim!
John