Subject: Re: bug#74179: %default-bash-profile still references /run/setuid-programs

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 22:54:40 +0100

Hi Edouard,

(Cc: Tobias, who authors the privileged program mechanism.)

Edouard Klein <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Some of the users on the-dam.org don't have the new location in their
> PATH. I've tracked it down to %default-bash-profile still referencing
> the old location (in /gnu/system/shadow.scm):
>
> # Prepend setuid programs.
> export PATH=/run/setuid-programs:$PATH
>
> This file ends up in /etc/skel, and from there is copied on the user's
> HOME when the user is created.
>
> I've grep /run/setuid-programs in the source and found that it is still
> hardcoded in a few places.
>
> Two questions:
> If I submitted a patch series addressing these issues, would somebody
> review it and apply it within a few weeks ?

As you know there cannot be guarantees on the timeliness of volunteer
response, but surely this would be pretty high priority (and easy) to
review/apply.

> And the more interesting one:
> How do I correct the issue for my existing users, given that even if I
> correct the code and reconfigure, the .bash_profile file in their HOME
> is gonna stay the same ?
> Maybe I should force everybody to use guix home ?

Maybe ‘.bash_profile’ should never have contained that line in the first
place.

But anyway, you could either run ‘sed’ on all the ‘.bash_profile’ files
of users (not great), or let them know, or just let go since AFAIK it
doesn’t hurt to have /run/setuid-programs in $PATH.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.