Subject: Re: [bug#47898] [PATCH] [core-updates] Add option --xpath0 to xmllint from libxml2

From: david larsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:21:41 +0200

On 2021-05-13 14:41, Marius Bakke wrote:
> david larsson <[email-masked]> skriver:
> 
>> Hi!
>> This patch adds the option to separate xpath results from xmllint by a
>> null delimiter when using the --xpath0 option-flag. It is something
>> that's been asked for for a long time by users on stackoverflow and
>> merge-attempts have been made to upstream without success.
>> 
>> Examples:
>>    - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/issues/227
>>    - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/merge_requests/8
> 
> I'm reluctant to take a patch that has been rejected upstream,
> especially for a core package such as libxml2.  Porting can be
> time-consuming which delays security updates, and we'll have situations
> where something "works on Guix" but not elsewhere (or vice versa).

I understand.

> 
> Will adding it as a separate package be sufficient?  We could call it
> "xmllint-xpath0" or similar and make it clear that it's just libxml2
> with a patched xmllint in the description.
> 
> Thoughts?

Yes, that would be nice. How about calling it libxml2-xpath0 instead? 
That would maintain libxml2 in the name, letting users know it's just a 
version of the original package and should show up when searching for 
libxml2. If calling it xmllint-xpath0, I feel that the package should 
remove other outputs than just the xmllint binary file, which is perhaps 
a good idea though?

Either option is fine for me.

Best regards,
David