Subject: Re: [bug#42380] Wow!

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 23:24:01 +0200

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 05:05:47PM +0200, Xinglu Chen wrote:
>> What’s the status of these patches?  I would love to see Tor Browser in
>> Guix!
>
> Does this package build the Tor browser from source? Or is it just a
> launcher, like the Debian package?

It builds from source.

And sorry for dropping the ball, André!  If anyone’s willing to give it
a try and report back, or to comment on the patch, that’d be great.

> My understanding is that the Tor people discourage anyone else from
> distributing builds of the Tor browser.
>
> If it builds from source, we should probably call it something besides
> "Tor browser", since it will be different from the official Tor browser
> due to the unbundling and other changes.
>
> Also, if it builds from source, it will be easy to identify users of
> this package as being Guix users and since the Guix userbase is
> relatively small, it will be much easier than usual to positively
> identify the person using the package.

Good points.  I think we could ask the Tor Browser folks (we met with a
couple of them at Reproducible Builds Summits in the past and I’m
confident we’d understand each other :-)).

Thanks,
Ludo’.