epiphany and next broken after webkitgtk upgrade to 2.26.1

DoneSubmitted by Vagrant Cascadian.
Details
4 participants
  • Bradley Haggerty
  • Ludovic Courtès
  • Marius Bakke
  • Vagrant Cascadian
Owner
unassigned
Severity
normal
V
V
Vagrant Cascadian wrote on 28 Sep 2019 23:51
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)(name . Marius Bakke)(address . mbakke@fastmail.com)
87lfu8um13.fsf@ponder
Both next and epiphany are very broken for me after the upgrade to
webkitgtk to 2.26.1.

I first noticed when running core-updates, but then also tested on
master (de3896fb79984d545e7fec0b5e4f1ba37983fbce) with the same result.

$ guix describe
Generation 240 Sep 27 2019 20:47:30 (current)
guix 60643d1
repository URL: file:///home/vagrant/src/guix
commit: 60643d1b1930c54789c8262ae68457fe0c85fae0
$ guix package -I epiphany
epiphany 3.30.4 out
/gnu/store/vc6caa4n1jkqkvzjg03d9j5m93k8g6g0-epiphany-3.30.4
$ epiphany

** (epiphany:16759): WARNING **: 21:18:10.796:
webkit_web_context_set_web_process_count_limit is deprecated and d
wpe_loader_init could not load the library 'libWPEBackend-fdo-1.0.so':
libWPEBackend-fdo-1.0.so: cannot open shar
wpe: could not load the impl library. Is there any backend installed?:
libWPEBackend-default.so: cannot open shar
Aborted

I don't have a capture of the "next" browser output handy, but it wasn't
working either.

I also tried building without grafts, just in case, but no difference.


Reverting the following commit causes both browsers to work again.

commit 689b44bc3fe50de86c8c8b8c2ac503b2e82d7975
Author: Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 26 16:40:45 2019 +0200

gnu: WebKitGTK: Update to 2.26.1.

* gnu/packages/webkit.scm (webkitgtk-2.24): Rename to ...
(webkitgtk-2.26): ... this. Update to 2.26.1.
[inputs]: Add BUBBLEWRAP, LIBSECCOMP, LIBWPE, WPEBACKEND-FDO, and
XDG-DBUS-PROXY.
* gnu/packages/gnome.scm (eolie, epiphany)[inputs]: Adjust for
changed
variable name.
* gnu/packages/web-browsers.scm (next-gtk-webkit)[inputs]: Likewise.


Maybe libwpe and/or wpebackend-fdo aren't added in (all) the correct
place(s)?


live well,
vagrant
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQRlgHNhO/zFx+LkXUXcUY/If5cWqgUCXY/V+QAKCRDcUY/If5cW
qvsvAP465hG7UFw5mBIh6ho/cVhmEZ+wC05F/i8nIVjpZgFjcgD8DhtDiIAXSzSX
2dk3K7e8y2A+nXTqi52dc08ljj9XUAQ=
=FTox
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

V
V
Vagrant Cascadian wrote on 29 Sep 2019 08:55
(address . 37545@debbugs.gnu.org)(name . Marius Bakke)(address . mbakke@fastmail.com)
87eezzvbg3.fsf@ponder
On 2019-09-28, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
Toggle quote (2 lines)
> Both next and epiphany are very broken for me after the upgrade to
> webkitgtk to 2.26.1.
...
Toggle quote (13 lines)
> $ epiphany
>
> ** (epiphany:16759): WARNING **: 21:18:10.796:
> webkit_web_context_set_web_process_count_limit is deprecated and d
> wpe_loader_init could not load the library 'libWPEBackend-fdo-1.0.so':
> libWPEBackend-fdo-1.0.so: cannot open shar
> wpe: could not load the impl library. Is there any backend installed?:
> libWPEBackend-default.so: cannot open shar
> Aborted
>
> I don't have a capture of the "next" browser output handy, but it wasn't
> working either.

Ok, a little further ...

guix environment --ad-hoc epiphany

Still fails in the same way... but!

guix environment --pure --ad-hoc epiphany

Works fine!

So something in the... environment variables is causing problems? XDG*?

More debugging another day...

live well,
vagrant
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQRlgHNhO/zFx+LkXUXcUY/If5cWqgUCXZBVTAAKCRDcUY/If5cW
qhA9AP4yEwWim0LgoauCQ70m74l9WVqyPICTF302zU62hfclGwD/YlWCQ3SdfHoF
cMHNqNCDTi0zFmCeCYTDqzvT56FTwwM=
=/Uh8
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 2 Oct 2019 14:23
Re: bug#37545: epiphany and next broken after webkitgtk upgrade to 2.26.1
(name . Vagrant Cascadian)(address . vagrant@debian.org)
87wodnibf2.fsf@gnu.org
Hi Vagrant!

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

Toggle quote (4 lines)
> Ok, a little further ...
>
> guix environment --ad-hoc epiphany

It works for me on ‘core-updates’
ece22ac8ccb6744eaec0320f0c7c9b6680fffa46, but note that my system and
user profile were already on ‘core-updates’, so presumably that avoids
problems with XDG_*.

Toggle quote (6 lines)
> Still fails in the same way... but!
>
> guix environment --pure --ad-hoc epiphany
>
> Works fine!

This works fine for me too:

guix environment -E DISPLAY -E XAUTHORITY --ad-hoc epiphany --pure -- epiphany

So… problem solved?

Ludo’.
V
V
Vagrant Cascadian wrote on 2 Oct 2019 17:51
(name . Ludovic Courtès)(address . ludo@gnu.org)
87eezvqh7d.fsf@yucca
On 2019-10-02, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Toggle quote (23 lines)
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>
>> Ok, a little further ...
>>
>> guix environment --ad-hoc epiphany
>
> It works for me on ‘core-updates’
> ece22ac8ccb6744eaec0320f0c7c9b6680fffa46, but note that my system and
> user profile were already on ‘core-updates’, so presumably that avoids
> problems with XDG_*.
>
>> Still fails in the same way... but!
>>
>> guix environment --pure --ad-hoc epiphany
>>
>> Works fine!
>
> This works fine for me too:
>
> guix environment -E DISPLAY -E XAUTHORITY --ad-hoc epiphany --pure -- epiphany
>
> So… problem solved?

It breaks running under wayland, and unsetting WAYLAND_DISPLAY it works
fine:

WAYLAND_DISPLAY= epiphany

Or switching to an x11 session rather than wayland also worked fine.

Does it work for other people under wayland, or just x11?

More specifically, I'm running a "sway (wayland)" session from sddm as
the login manager.


live well,
vagrant
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQRlgHNhO/zFx+LkXUXcUY/If5cWqgUCXZTHZwAKCRDcUY/If5cW
qkkEAQDwQzNqrVE/oLFWctXY5YRXISi9LUrZ1sOnmDOnE7zUpwD+POo6+yQtrbu2
gavzvvedN1gWKmH+3ik5j/M470i8qgY=
=+YwT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

M
M
Marius Bakke wrote on 6 Oct 2019 18:06
(address . 37545@debbugs.gnu.org)
87d0f97tab.fsf@devup.no
Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

Toggle quote (36 lines)
> On 2019-10-02, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>>
>>> Ok, a little further ...
>>>
>>> guix environment --ad-hoc epiphany
>>
>> It works for me on ‘core-updates’
>> ece22ac8ccb6744eaec0320f0c7c9b6680fffa46, but note that my system and
>> user profile were already on ‘core-updates’, so presumably that avoids
>> problems with XDG_*.
>>
>>> Still fails in the same way... but!
>>>
>>> guix environment --pure --ad-hoc epiphany
>>>
>>> Works fine!
>>
>> This works fine for me too:
>>
>> guix environment -E DISPLAY -E XAUTHORITY --ad-hoc epiphany --pure -- epiphany
>>
>> So… problem solved?
>
> It breaks running under wayland, and unsetting WAYLAND_DISPLAY it works
> fine:
>
> WAYLAND_DISPLAY= epiphany
>
> Or switching to an x11 session rather than wayland also worked fine.
>
> Does it work for other people under wayland, or just x11?
>
> More specifically, I'm running a "sway (wayland)" session from sddm as
> the login manager.

I believe this is fixed by 1714edc3d4e8d6da1b0cdef300ae882d0885f182.
Can you confirm?

Thanks!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCgAdFiEEu7At3yzq9qgNHeZDoqBt8qM6VPoFAl2aEPwACgkQoqBt8qM6
VPoIpggAsKDeykRaTbHw5TT8Xq/n51nq3X5as2MPScI5uP21J7PxNG1h0AQWq+H6
JhCi+S5b+P/w0e6nEdexrns+RHt5q3cIjRZEyciweuJDAra3lPZAd15G+YNI+XJY
wDs9+EXyE8UoZZoIvwGtZXZHKaOFH/ZJJF7xVoR2PdeKNCa7vXlP9clNrcx/M3vK
rabJaOxhWpYpSS2wBM9kKUWkE7FZxG58x2WXZPwV5ulk7DUOL4FcJsHyOohVPc5O
6tIF3iCA2qrLX3pNhsfxYp8NF0/4gyx4uq68b8OYv6XWvgD0YtdxP+6Eoy7HF1gg
VtbAxZT95sya4VO9wgujfoaUuLvr8Q==
=3OBg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

B
B
Bradley Haggerty wrote on 8 Oct 2019 08:09
re: epiphany and next broken after webkitgtk upgrade to 2.26.1
(address . 37545@debbugs.gnu.org)
CABGw91ckZ8-5fE5jj3WrVCP8_w2pdMG54HvFtu0VHV74yujAGQ@mail.gmail.com
I also had a broken next. I am on Sway and the suggestion of unsetting
WAYLAND_DISPLAY when launching made it work! I couldn't get it to
launch any other way, including guix environment commands. Is there a
proper fix for this?
V
V
Vagrant Cascadian wrote on 8 Oct 2019 08:30
Re: bug#37545: epiphany and next broken after webkitgtk upgrade to 2.26.1
(address . 37545-done@debbugs.gnu.org)
87sgo3vjdv.fsf@yucca
On 2019-10-06, Marius Bakke wrote:
Toggle quote (16 lines)
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:
>> It breaks running under wayland, and unsetting WAYLAND_DISPLAY it works
>> fine:
>>
>> WAYLAND_DISPLAY= epiphany
>>
>> Or switching to an x11 session rather than wayland also worked fine.
>>
>> Does it work for other people under wayland, or just x11?
>>
>> More specifically, I'm running a "sway (wayland)" session from sddm as
>> the login manager.
>
> I believe this is fixed by 1714edc3d4e8d6da1b0cdef300ae882d0885f182.
> Can you confirm?

After that commit it's been working again, thanks!

live well,
vagrant
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQRlgHNhO/zFx+LkXUXcUY/If5cWqgUCXZwtHAAKCRDcUY/If5cW
qtdlAP9y0zF4FdiN/2J2wWruVLsyq13XqmuPCpST3WqmIECaMgEAti3mvHfyblbS
RFTdKP+8z0EggkciOI/D6KxsudFguQ4=
=3nKA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Closed
M
M
Marius Bakke wrote on 8 Oct 2019 11:01
87lftv626a.fsf@devup.no
Bradley Haggerty <bradigger@gmail.com> writes:

Toggle quote (5 lines)
> I also had a broken next. I am on Sway and the suggestion of unsetting
> WAYLAND_DISPLAY when launching made it work! I couldn't get it to
> launch any other way, including guix environment commands. Is there a
> proper fix for this?

The fix only exists on the 'core-updates' branch, which is hopefully
merged today. \o/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCgAdFiEEu7At3yzq9qgNHeZDoqBt8qM6VPoFAl2cUH0ACgkQoqBt8qM6
VPqDKAgAvn65w6GeWx4jBuLSAv5ZAvs4TWajm09KAb87Bi/10Fn23o3YGxv8FO2d
eLacIxdKwmDQpl/uJA7LInOfgKW1BrefOHAPoPpi5Z2rL98aJgnBIP8Z9Mz/CFZw
J/+DBS+FhBKT7S4db7PpkfYVoyrmISTTNZw+Hd+Ltpj5mxDuXErCXS0VIJqzmUHw
YXGiQsvV0OUYq+knj3IOyoOc4wsFnr2dGNzZvfxqyjCjZo0TPlHZWqrK/VTH5sJW
4MLNTqcFIwu4NrUZfoJZmqwyrPsgsDgiUHxA/7NpWRpvko77OSHZsJHGbMeZN5xx
I2CYJaPY8+wIP+IEPfGYFzURuU0PnA==
=wF/H
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 37545@debbugs.gnu.org