Subject: Re: bug#25453: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:01:36 +0100

Hi!

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm using a UK keyboard layout with a computer that I recently installed
> GuixSD on with a encrypted root parition. Immediately after installation
> when I attempted to boot in to the new system for the first time I had
> to enter the passphrase twice, and in doing this, first I had to use the
> keyboard layout under which I carried out the installation (the layout
> which I had intended to use), and then during the early boot stage of
> the system I had to enter the passphrase using a different keyboard
> layout.

Currently installing a keymap is something done by the ‘console-keymap’
Shepherd service, which invokes ‘loadkeys’.  That happens after
“cryptsetup --open” has opened your encrypted root device, hence the
problem.

Should we install the keymap right in the initrd, before we’ve mounted
the root partition?  That would require copying the right keymap(s) and
probably ‘loadkeys’ to the initrd, which might make it quite big.

Suggestions?  How do others handle it?

Thanks for your report,
Ludo’.